Monday, April 27, 2015

Zen and the Art of Curry Sauce



I'm sleepy because I have been up all night soaking in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence by Robert Pirsig. I found a copy at the library that has been in the library's circulation since April 14th, 1993. It wears its age well.

The book is part travel journey and part philosophical ramblings:  not much different from my own life, but addicting in its articulate complexity.  It really gets my wheels rolling.

I finally made it the farmers market with my roommates!  We planned to leave at 9, but didn't get out of the house until ten owing to a purring fluff machine of a kitty who decided we were to adopt him. 


We named him Sparkle Jones. It took us ~12 hours to begrudgingly call the phone number on his collar.

The farmers market was great.  I felt a little sore missing the deals all my local farmers give me on produce,  but ended up with a beautiful haul of early autumnal veggies.

NZ Queen apples, yum. And carrots taste magical here. Sweet and crunchy. 

 As I write,  a thick pan of saag simmers on the stove top. It will taste so good with brown rice, yum! (ingredients: ginger,  garlic,  curry powder and paste,  boiled spinach and coconut milk)

Soggy Saag, made with farmers market spinach.


The main difference I noticed (it seems that a great percentage of my mental capacity is dedicated to comparison and contrasts) is that this farmers market was bustling with a huge variety of artisan products like cakes,  beads,  cheeses,  honeys, cured meats, hummuses (?Word?), scones,  teas,  etc.  whereas the Taos farmers market is predominantly produce.  The produce here was fairly pricey,  but not entirely out of college student budget expensive. 


This stall wins presentation hands down. Look at the flowers on those cakes!
Bustling Christchurch / Canterbury farmers market.
This cutie selling raspberries had raspberry colored cheeks!
Enjoying a fresh-picked apple by the Avon river

Bamboo shade on a prodigal saturday

Speaking of college budget: I am pleased to inform you of my university's apparently new and pretty effective marketing campaign. It seems that kiwi advertisers are finally getting savvy to the fact that sex sells.  This handsome fellow was staring back at me from bus billboard.



I didn't realize until after I crossed the Pacific ocean that this fellow doesn't accurately reflect the average uni population

Tonight is my last night before classes get rolling again.  It'll be back to the daily routine for another 6 weeks.  Keeping a positive mindset and staying integrated with my experience is my highest intention right now.  I'm keeping faith that the answers I seek will follow. 

Positive psychology works:  using adjectives like these help me maintain an attitude of gratitude.

Doodle of Disco.  I want to add a flower in there, too. Free time is the best.

Two drawings on tracing paper come together for a spooky but soothing effect.







No comments:

Post a Comment